Sunday, October 16, 2011

Everyone must breathe until their dying breath...

I know it's been a hundred years since I last posted and I'm so mad about it.  Things have been busy to say the least.  Since my last post so much has happened!  I turned 19 and had one of the best birthdays of my life.  Got to spend time with friends and family, watched a meteor shower, and got to see Gavin Creel perform and meet him at the club.  I also got to take a road trip to the Utah Shakespeare Festival with my girl Bailie and see a lot of great theater.  That's always refreshing.

And then began my first year of 'real college'.  Starting at the University of Utah has obviously been bittersweet for me.  School has been so different this year; I feel like I'm experiencing college for the first time again in a lot of ways.  Starting at a Conservatory definitely skewed my idea of what college life is like a little.  I'm so unbelievably thankful for the amazing people I've been able to get closer to since the spring.  Without them I'd be a complete wreck.

I'm also thrilled to be a part of the U's production of HAIR, playing Jeanie.  Our director is one of the most amazing people I've ever worked with.  He's a guest director from Chicago and has a very organic approach to theater.  He has the most amazing insights about the work... I just want to write down every single thing he says.  It's a very inspiring work environment to be a part of.  I've always heard that being in Hair changes your life and I'm starting to see why.  We just got finished blocking the show this weekend and I've never felt so connected to a cast before.  I've had one main goal for this show: To be happy enough with the rehearsal process that I wouldn't be heartbroken if we didn't get to perform.  Obviously that would never happen, but I was talking to my friend Trevor awhile back about his rehearsal process for 'Waiting for Godot' at BoCo, and he told me about a time right before they were scheduled to open when there was a chance that they wouldn't get to perform the show because of a flooding problem in the theater.  He told me that he honestly wouldn't have even been upset if he didn't get to perform because he was so happy with the work he had done in rehearsal and how much he had learned from the process.  Further proof that it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.  

Thankfully, we don't anticipate any flooding problems with our theater and I've never been so excited to share my journey with everyone who comes to see the show.  Our Tribe is an amazing group of people and I think it's going to be a really good show.  We open in less than a month! I hope everyone who is in the Salt Lake area is able to come and see this show. Check out the Facebook event page >>HERE<<

A couple weeks ago I got to take a trip to Boston! Technically the trip was for me to get all of my winter clothes and dorm stuff out of storage, but I was so glad to be able to see all of my classmates again until who knows when.  My sister, Telise, came with me and it was such a fun trip.  I got to take her to the places I'd told her about all last year, which was really fun.  It was pretty hard to see how much my classmates have been enjoying sophomore year and not being able to be there with them.  I've just been keeping the idea that everything happens for a reason prominent in my thinking these days.  Maybe I don't know exactly what the reason is yet, but I know that I will eventually.  It's not the most comforting thing in the world, but it's enough for now.  I've been spending a ton of time reading, writing, and being with people who make me happy.  The thing to keep in mind is that I'm doing the best that I can with the situation that I'm in.  Things that are out of my control are not worth stressing about.  Easier said than done, I know.  But acknowledging that is the first step.


Below are some lyrics to Regina Spektor's song 'On the Radio'.  For some reason I've been loving her lyrics these days.  They are so beautifully simple.  I think in a lot of ways I'm a very analytical and left-brained person. I tend to overanalyze things (emotions, relationships, friendships), and in doing so, overcomplicate them.  It's great for me to surround myself with simple "less is more" mindsets once in awhile.  


"This is how it works
You're young until you're not
You love until you don't
You try until you can't
You laugh until you cry
You cry until you laugh
And everyone must breathe
Until their dying breath
No, this is how it works
You peer inside yourself
You take the things you like
And try to love the things you took
And then you take that love you made
And stick it into some
Someone else's heart
Pumping someone else's blood
And walking arm in arm
You hope it don't get harmed
But even if it does
You'll just do it all again"

1 comment:

Sara Best said...

I adore reading your blog; little snippets or your brain.
I'd love to see you soon.