Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Garden State

Oh hey Spring Break 2011!

Being home is the best.  I was SO ready for a break from school, and as always, being away from school makes me appreciate it and miss it even more.  And as always, I forget how little there is to do in Salt Lake when it's not really warm.  Lots of coffee dates, singing, and ... Yeah that's about it.  I'm really glad I've been only spending time with people I care about.  It's refreshing.  There are still a few people who I'd like to see more of, but I've decided to make the most of this break.  I guess I should probably start working on homework at some point, but I think we all know that's not going to happen until Monday night.  Let's be serious.  It's also nice to get a break from the people at school.  I love them all dearly, but too many theater kids together nonstop can get overwhelming.  Going back to your roots is invigorating and makes you appreciate what you have.

Being home I've been able to hang out and catch up with people I haven't seen in a long time.  It's been great catching up with them, but it's so weird at the same time.  I feel like being away at college has changed me so much and things here have stayed pretty much the same.  It reminds me of the movie Garden State where he says "It's like that moment when you realize the house you grew up in isn't your home anymore."  That quote has been in my mind a lot the last few months.  Moving away to college is great and I don't regret it at all, but they never tell you how weird you feel to come back home.  I feel like I have two completely separate lives and can't find the balance between the two of them.  I don't know how to have conversations with people at home that don't end up turning into talks about Boston or school or theater.  I've heard it's mostly just a freshman year thing. I'm sure it'll be easier to find a balance as I get more used to it.  I think that's why I'm so anxious to get back to school.  It's easier to not talk about home life than it is to not talk about school life... 

No comments: