Sunday, March 27, 2011

BC, NY, TECH WEEK

So it's finally my turn.  Every freshman Musical Theater and Dance major has a tech requirement for our Stagecraft class... And the time has come.  I was assigned to tech The Mikado - The spring opera mainstage.  I'm actually in rehearsal right now.  We're in the first weekend of tech where we have two 12-hour rehearsals for two days in a row.  It's possibly the worst way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  Especially because since I'm the light board operator and the light board hasn't been fully programmed yet, I'm literally sitting on my ass all weekend.  

Luckily, I was let go early last night and got to go to Boston College with my girl Malari and see an improv show with her friend from home.  It was so nice to not only get away from rehearsal, but to get out of the BoCo bubble for an evening.  Boston College has a beautiful campus too!  I'm definitely going back soon. One thing I noticed about going to BC is that it was sort of like high school... Everyone knew each other, the boys were making dumb jokes, and the theater was so fun and rowdy.  Like high school but with more drinking.  I miss that every so often, but I don't think I could ever be a full-time student at a big school like that.  It was definitely something that made me realize that I'm at the right kind of school.  My friend Matt and I were talking about that the other day... What are we doing here?  We're studying to work in one of the most fickle industries in the world.  Wouldn't it be easier to go with my initial plan and study political science with a minor in journalism at a liberal arts college?  It's been a challenge for me over the last couple of weeks.  I know I love what I'm doing, it's just scary to think of going out into the world and making a living as an actor - especially since I can't wait tables...  Sometimes, since we're all working so hard at our craft it starts to feel like more work than passion.  I've had a lot of discussions with my close friends about this lately and really, the only answer is this:  I'm studying theater because I can't imagine myself doing anything else.  

Speaking of Matt, IT'S HIS BIRTHDAY TODAY! Sadly, because of tech, I haven't gotten to see him yet.  He and a bunch of my good friends (Gavin, Alexis, Rachel, and Bailey) went to New York yesterday to see some shows and celebrate.  He got to be in Times Square right at midnight for his birthday!  I wish I could have been there. They saved me a spot in the pic!  


Oh!  And Bailie finally posted pictures from our New York trip just before spring break.  I'll post a few of my favorites here.  

 

 

 

No comments: