Saturday, February 19, 2011

Let's Have Some Fun

So something I've been thinking about a lot over this past semester is having fun with my work.  In my evaluation meeting at the end of last semester, my acting faculty told me that I'm not having enough fun in classes.  Which I can agree with.  I was (and still am) pretty afraid of failure and making a fool out of myself.  I know we're in a very safe environment, but it's been a fear of mine for a long time, and now I know how to get rid of it.  The answer is simply having fun with the work.  If you really think about it, we do some really fun things in classes.  Creating a character from the ground up and auditioning for a musical in character, learning different dialects, exploring monologues in tons of different ways, becoming a tribe for an entire class and creating a new language... More on that later perhaps... But the point is, we do some pretty amazing things at this school.  It's all in the name of education, so I think a lot of us put on our learning faces and take everything too seriously, which can quickly suck the fun out of it.  So, this semester I've been consciously working to stop myself from getting too serious about anything and just have some fun.  I'm seeing a complete difference in myself.  I'm happier, and I feel like I'm getting more from my education this way by challenging myself. 

Speaking of fun, my lover Matt Burton... Or Charley now... came to visit and audition last weekend.  Sending you good thoughts!  I hope you can join me next year! 

Also contributing to my good mood lately is the weather!  These last couple of days it's been near 60 degrees in Boston.  I'm loving it.  There's nothing better for your mood than a nice walk in the sunshine. Here's hoping we don't get any more snow and spring comes a bit early.  The sooner we can go to the docks and tan, the better!  This is where I want to be right now... 

No comments: