Friday, February 25, 2011

Leap of Faith

First of all, I'm not an extremely religious person.  I was brought up with religion, and still consider myself to be Greek Orthodox, but my parents were always great about letting me make decisions and have my own opinions, which I'm so grateful for.  From what I've seen. religion can often do the opposite of what it should in people's lives.  It puts a lot of pressure on people, which sometimes is a great thing, depending on the person and the situation, but sometimes it can keep people from being comfortable with themselves, which isn't at all what Faith should be.  The reason I'm bringing this up, is that lately in my life I've been seeing a lot of signs that have to do with Faith, so I thought it would be good to flesh it out a little. 

I don't know if I've talked about it at all before, but this semester I'm in a miscast cabaret called BoCo Backwards.  It's been so great being in a show at the Conservatory.  I'd say it's the perfect first performance experience because it's a chance to perform and rehearse, but the stakes are low and it's such a fun environment.  It's directed by three juniors this year, and the cast is pretty small, so that's awesome.  Basically the title sums it up - It's just a whole cabaret of songs that are miscast.  For example... Me and two other white girls are singing a medley of black girl trio songs, all the girls are singing Bitch of Living from Spring Awakening, and all the boys are singing a Disney princess medley.  Anyway, the reason I'm talking about the show in this post is because I've really learned to have faith in myself over these last couple of weeks.  Being cast equally with almost all upperclassmen, I'm starting to realize just how fierce the competition is at this school, and that your biggest supporter is always going to be you.  I've had a chance to use some things I've been learning in classes, but mostly just to trust myself.  If I don't believe that I'm good enough, no one else will either.  It's all about feeling comfortable with yourself and jumping headfirst into any work that you do -  And that requires a little bit of faith in something.  If nothing else, in yourself.  

Today, I was checking Twitter and I came across such a great quote posted by @TheDailyLove

"Wisdom is knowing when a relationship has run its course. Not everything lasts - letting go is a leap of Faith."

For some reason or another, this really spoke to me.  Without going into too many details, I'll just say that I've been holding on to so many things from my past lately, and I've never thought of my holding on to them as being a weakness or lack of courage, but it really is.  Holding on to the past is just fear of the future.  

No comments: