Monday, February 28, 2011

Except for death and paying taxes...

...Everything in life is only for now.

This lyric from Avenue Q pretty much sums up how I feel about my day.  I spent SO much time at Starbucks stressing out about writing a paper that was due this evening.  I ended up calling my mama and she told me not to stress out about it; that this pressure was only for now and that by tomorrow it would all be over with.  I think that's a great philosophy.  Live for the moment.  So much of our time is spent worrying about the future or regretting the past, while we're missing out on life right now.  As an actor, that's one of the main goals is to be present with the character.  But how can we be present with a character in a made up situation if we can't even stay present with ourselves in real life?  There's a term we use in acting class called "freshminting," which basically means constant discovery of new things in the text we're working with.  I've sort of realized that the people who can freshmint things in their own lives have easier times freshminting in a scene or monologue.  It's all about spontaneity and being free.  Worrying about the past or the future doesn't do you any favors.

Today, my bestie, Gavin Parmley took me out on a little adventure.  But he wouldn't tell me where it was.  He just told me that there was some place he wanted to go with me, but not where it was or what it was.  So we took Rachel with us and hopped on the T.  Gavin was so adorable -- He had even checked the weather to make sure it was optimal conditions for us to see this thing... So we were on the train for probably twenty minutes and got off in the middle of nowhere...



... And THIS is what we see.  This picture absolutely does not do this place justice... It was right on the water and we could see the entire city of Boston.  It was so beautiful.  It's pretty chilly outside tonight so we didn't stay long, but I have a feeling this is going to be a really great hangout for us later on this semester.  I love Gavin so much.  He's one of the people who have proven to be an amazing friend to me this semester.  I just can't get enough.  I'm so excited to be living with him next year. 

This was exactly what I needed tonight.  It was so great to get away and get some fresh air.  It's also made me really want to explore the city that I'm so lucky to be living in.  There are so many amazing places in Boston that I haven't gotten a chance to visit.  So here it is.  My vow to go out exploring this fantastic city that I'm so lucky to live in. 

Overall... Glad I have great friends to distract me from stressing out about the little things, glad I have a fierce mother who knows exactly how I'm feeling all the time, glad I'm going to be in NYC with my best friend in the world, Bailie, this weekend.  Also glad spring break is in ten days.  Thoughts of blasting music with my windows rolled down are getting me through the day.  Miss you, SLC!



 



No comments: