Thursday, November 4, 2010

A New Start

Those select... ten(?) who follow my blog will notice that I did a bit of revamping! I was finding myself bored with the idea of rambling about my "life" and decided to take this blog in a more focused direction. Also, I wanted to get rid of posts that happened during a really strange time in my life that is now the PAST. I'm not ignoring the past, but this blog is about the new and improved me who goes to The Boston Conservatory! This blog is going to be all about my time here and will be a chance for me to reflect and sort things out that happen in my life and hopefully will be entertaining to some degree. Not my main concern. 

So I guess first order of business is to play catch up on my time so far at the BoCo. It's been a busy semester here so far! I've been here for 70 days now. (Many thanks to the countdown application on my MacBook.) It's almost midterm and I'm seeing so much growth from myself, both personally and artistically. As a lot of people know, I went to a performing arts high school for junior and senior years, but I never noticed this much progress in such a short time, and here's the conclusion I've come up with. First of all, EVERYONE here at the BoCo is extremely lucky to be here and they know it. It's so refreshing to be surrounded by such amazing artists all the time. People are so dedicated to their studies here, and I think that promotes artistic growth for sure. Also, the school's curriculum is amazing. Everything I learn in one class can be applied in some other class. The things I'm learning in Voice for the Actor helps my dance classes, or my voice lessons help me in Acting. I think part of the battle is learning to make those connections and applying them. A brilliant professor can talk at you all they want, but until you PERSONALLY start making connections and using the information, it's just words floating around a classroom.

Possibly one of my favorite things about the Boston Conservatory's musical theater program is the diversity of people and talent. Especially in my class, we have a really good blend of prominent dancers, actors, and singers. I also love the fact that our class is bigger than many of the other top tier programs. I know Carnegie and U Mich and CCM accept fewer people per year, but I'm getting the opportunity to work with not just 18 to 24 individuals for all four years, but all 50 or so people. Every single one of those 50 people have something different that I can learn from them, so I'm really excited to get to know the other people in my class. Obviously right now I mostly associate with my core of 15 people, who I ADORE. I'm learning so much from all of them, and I love watching everyone make progress. It's hard to believe that we've only been here for two months. 

43 days until winter break! I never thought I'd miss Salt Lake City so much. I'm starting to understand everyone's fascination with home. It's been really interesting to see who my true friends are. It's been hard to keep in touch with everyone as much as I'd like, but my besties know who they are and they know I'm thinking about them! 

1 comment:

Jaron said...

I LOVE YOUR LIFE!! and the new blog is pretty grat too :) and so is your face :)